Dr Karen Lumsden
MA, MRes, PhD, PGCE, FHEA, MMRS
Trainer – coach – consultant – researcher
I’m a qualitative researcher and coach with a passion for the provision of expert training, coaching, consultancy, and mentoring in qualitative research methods and/or PhD study to a range of clients.
I am a Professional Academic Coach who works with clients looking to succeed in academia and social research including both PhD students and established academics.
I have over 17 years’ experience in academia as a qualitative researcher and social scientist. I was Assistant Professor in Criminology at the University of Nottingham and Associate Professor in Criminology at the University of Leicester. I have also held academic posts at the University of Aberdeen, Loughborough University and the University of Abertay Dundee. My experience of working in academia means that I have a unique insight into the process, the industry, and the challenges it brings.
I have conducted research in areas including policing, youth, communities, victims and victimization, social media, and interpersonal cyber crime including online misogyny, harassment and trolling.
- PhD in Sociology, University of Aberdeen
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Learning & Teaching (Aberdeen)
- Masters in Social Research (Aberdeen)
- MA Sociology (Hons) (Aberdeen)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Professional Diploma in Coaching (in progress)
- British Society of Criminology
- Social Research Association (SRA)
- Association of Qualitative Researchers (AQR)
- Market Research Society (MRS)
- Qualitative Research Consultants Association (QRCA)
- Design and delivery of qualitative training and courses
- Academic coaching for PhD students and academics
- Mentoring and consultancy on academic writing, i.e. journal articles, book proposals, monographs, academic CVs and cover letters
- Consultancy services including grant writing, research project design, evaluations, qualitative data collection and analysis