Dr Karen Lumsden
MA, MRes, PhD, PGCE, FHEA, MMRS
Trainer – consultant – researcher – coach
I’m a qualitative researcher with a passion for the provision of expert training and mentoring in qualitative research methods to a range of clients.
I am also a Coaching Professional who works with clients looking to reevaluate their professional career, improve confidence in the workplace, succeed in academia, and other life changes.
I have over 15 years of experience in academia as a qualitative researcher and social scientist. I’m currently Assistant Professor in Criminology at the University of Nottingham. I previously held academic posts at the University of Aberdeen, Loughborough University, University of Abertay Dundee and University of Leicester. My experience of working in academia and also of leaving academia mean that I have a unique insight into this process, the industry, and the challenges it brings.
I have conducted research on various issues and topics including policing, youth, communities, victims and victimisation, media, and interpersonal cyber crime including online misogyny, harassment and trolling.
- PhD in Sociology, University of Aberdeen
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Learning & Teaching (Aberdeen)
- Masters in Social Research (Aberdeen)
- MA Sociology (Hons) (Aberdeen)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- British Society of Criminology
- Social Research Association (SRA)
- Association of Qualitative Researchers (AQR)
- Market Research Society (MRS)
- Qualitative training courses
- Professional Coaching
- Consultancy services including grant writing, research project design and qualitative data collection